The Tour de France has decided not to press charges against a clueless fan who caused a bloody pile-up at the race over the weekend when she waved her sign in the bikers’ path, organizers said Thursday.

Race director Christian Prudhomme said they withdrew their complaint against the 30-year-old French woman, who was in custody Wednesday at a police station in Landerneau, Brittany.

“This story has been blown out of proportion but we wish to remind everyone of the safety rules on the race,” Prudhomme told Reuters.

“If you come to the Tour, you hold your kid, you hold your pet and don’t cross the road carelessly. And above all, you respect the riders — they’re the ones worthy of live TV.”

The woman, who hasn’t been identified, had been on the sidelines facing away from riders when cyclist Tony Martin clipped her sign during the race’s first stage on Saturday — sending him flying and others crashing to the ground around him.

Race director Christian Prudhomme said they withdrew their complaint against the 30-year-old French woman
Race director Christian Prudhomme said they withdrew their complaint against the 30-year-old French woman.
EPA

The crash resulted in two riders pulling out of the competition and eight being treated for injuries, the BBC reported.

French authorities said the woman fled before investigators could reach her.

“The spectator who caused this accident left the scene before the arrival of the investigators,” a spokesperson for the Finistere police force said, according to the Independent.

Tour de France crash
The crash happened during the first stage of the famed cycling race.
EPA

The woman, accused of involuntarily causing injury and putting the lives of others at risk, faced a fine of around $1,700, French news network RTL reported. She also faced up to a year in jail, the Daily Mail reported.

With Post wires



Source link